Skip to main content
More Search Options
A member of our team will call you back within one business day.
In North America, most marine animal bites and stings aren’t deadly. But some may cause a deep wound or severe allergic reaction. You’re most likely to come in contact with biting or stinging marine life—including jellyfish, sculpins, and stingrays—when you’re swimming or wading. These animals don’t attack you, but may sting if they’re stepped on or touched. Even dead jellyfish can sometimes release venom (poison) when handled.
Not all marine animal stings need urgent care. But you should seek emergency treatment if any of the following is true:
You don’t know what type of sting you have.
You have a history of allergic reactions.
You are stung on the face or neck.
You have trouble breathing.
Your injury will be cleaned and examined.
A jellyfish sting may be rinsed with saline (salt) solution or vinegar. This prevents more toxins from being released. Any tentacles left in your skin will be removed.
If your reaction is severe, you may be given a steroid medication to help control it.
If you are in pain, medication may be prescribed to make you more comfortable.
See your primary health care provider if:
The wound isn’t healing
You have signs of infection (redness, pain, discharge, or fever of 101°F (38.3°C) or higher)
Seek emergency care if you have signs of an allergic reaction (this can occur up to a month after a jellyfish sting):
Swelling of the affected body part, hands, head, face, or tongue
Get out of the water safely.
DO NOT use your bare hands to remove a stinger. Remove any stingers you see by wiping with a towel.
Wash the area with saltwater. Vinegar may help relieve the pain of jellyfish stings.
DO NOT raise the stung body part above the level of your heart.
DO NOT take any medication unless told to by a health care provider.