Skip to main content
More Search Options
A member of our team will call you back within one business day.
You see an open container of pills or chemicals or a damaged plant.
The room or the victim's breath smells of fumes.
The victim has burns in or near the mouth.
The victim has shallow puncture wounds that enter the body at an angle, suggesting a venomous snake bite (usually on the lower arm or leg).
If there is no Poison Control Center in your area, call 911 or ask the operator to connect you to emergency services.
DON'T cause vomiting or give ipecac syrup.
Care for the victim as instructed by Poison Control.
Keep the victim as calm as possible.
If the victim needs medical help, bring the container or the poison with the victim to the hospital.
The label on the medication bottle or chemical container or the name or description of the plant
The amount swallowed
The length of time since the poisoning
The victim's age, weight, and symptoms
The travel time to the nearest emergency room
Keep the victim still with the injury positioned below his or her heart level. This slows the spread of poison throughout the body.
DON'T use a tourniquet.
DON'T apply ice.
DON'T cut the bite.
DON'T try to suck venom out with your mouth.
Perform rescue breathing or CPR, if needed.
If you are traveling through an area where a poisonous snake bite is possible, wear protective boots and clothing. Extractor kits do not work and are not recommended.