Skip to main content
More Search Options
A member of our team will call you back within one business day.
Constant exposure to allergens means constant allergy symptoms. That's why controlling or avoiding the allergens that cause your symptoms is an important part of your treatment. If you are allergic to mold, the tips below may help. The more you do to keep all allergens away from your nose, the better you'll feel.
Mold allergy is caused by mold spores, microscopic seed particles that travel through the air. Molds thrive in dark, damp places. Outside, they grow on rotting logs, leaves, and on certain grasses and weeds. Hot spots of mold growth in the home include damp basements and closets, bathrooms (especially shower stalls), places where fresh food is stored, refrigerator drip trays, house plants, air conditioners, humidifiers, garbage pails, mattresses, upholstered furniture, and old foam rubber pillows.
Try these tips for avoiding mold:
Drain wet areas of your yard, and clean up leaves and weeds before they begin to rot. Keep compost piles away from the house.
Clean the bathroom shower or tub regularly with bleach. Check the shower curtain for mold growth.
Get leaky faucets or leaks in the roof fixed right away.
While bathing or showering, leave a window open or run a fan so moisture can escape.
If your house is damp, use a dehumidifier. Empty the collecting basin of the dehumidifier once a day.