Skip to main content
More Search Options
A member of our team will call you back within one business day.
Most insect bites are harmless and cause only minor swelling or itching. But if you’re allergic to insects such as wasps or bees, a sting can cause a life-threatening allergic reaction. The venom (poison) from scorpions and certain spiders can also be deadly, although this is rare. Knowing when to seek emergency care could save your life.
Call 911 immediately for any:
Bite from a black, red, or brown widow spider or brown recluse spider.
Signs of an allergic reaction. These include: hives; swelling of your eyes, lips, or the inside of your throat; trouble breathing; and dizziness or confusion.
If you’re having trouble breathing, you’ll be given oxygen through a mask. In case of severe breathing difficulty, you may have a tube inserted in your throat and be placed on a ventilator (breathing machine).
If you are having a severe allergic reaction from a sting (called anaphylaxis), you may be given a shot of epinephrine. If it is known that you are allergic to bee or wasp stings, your doctor may give you a prescription for an "epi-pen" that you can keep with you at all times in case of a sting.
You may receive antivenin (a substance that reverses the effects of poison) for some spider bites and scorpion stings. Because antivenin can sometimes cause other problems, your doctor will weigh the risks and benefits of this treatment.
Steroids such as prednisone are often used to treat allergic reactions. In many cases, your doctor will prescribe an antihistamine to help relieve itching.
Try to remove a stinger you can see. Use your fingernail, a knife edge, or credit card to scrape against the skin. Do not squeeze or pull.
Apply ice or a cold compress to reduce pain and swelling (keep a thin cloth between the cold source and the skin).