As of January 1, 2019 hospitals throughout the U.S., including Einstein Healthcare Network, began posting price information online. Here is important information to help you understand what you are looking at.
About the “Chargemaster”
- A charge description master or chargemaster is a list of all charge items and prices for everything a hospital provides to patients.
- Each hospital has its own chargemaster list that is used for billing purposes.
- The chargemaster list is not the negotiated price between hospitals and insurers, and it is not the price that most patients would pay for care.
- The chargemaster list is not the best tool for patients to figure out the cost of their health care services.
- Most people would not know all the charge items that would be used for their care before they receive treatment.
- The prices on the chargemaster list are not the actual payment rates that hospitals receive. And chargemaster prices are almost never the actual amount a patient is responsible for.
How Much Will I Pay?
The best way to understand what you will pay out-of-pocket is to work with your hospital and your insurer. In general:
- Individuals with insurance will pay any copayments, coinsurance, or deductible due.
- Individuals without insurance might be eligible for financial assistance or charity care, or may be able to receive a reduced price from the hospital.
Getting Help from Your Hospital
Einstein Healthcare Network offers financial counseling and help for people who have insurance and those who do not. You can contact our Financial Counseling office for help at the following numbers:
- Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia - 215-456-7287
- Einstein Medical Center Montgomery - 484-622-1514
You can download two version's of Einstein Healthcare Network's chargemaster below: