Our mission is to educate, inspire, and empower.
- We educate our residents to become exceptional healthcare professionals serving a diverse pediatric population with humility, thoughtfulness, proficiency, and empathy.
- We inspire our residents to live their truth, celebrate vulnerability, experience joy, create community, and advocate for self and others.
- We empower our residents to become confident leaders, life-long learners, innovative researchers, and champions of diversity, inclusion, and equity.
About Our Program
The Pediatric Residency Program at Albert Einstein Medical Center-Philadelphia offers a unique experience by combining strong primary care training at a general medical center hospital, as well as inpatient and subspecialty care training at a free-standing children’s hospital (St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children).
Our residency program is a medium-sized program with the following components:
- 30 total categorical pediatric residents (10 residents per year)
- Highly skilled, congenial faculty consisting of both general pediatricians and subspecialists
- Broad range of clinical settings including a general medical center, a free-standing children’s hospital, and numerous community outreach experiences
- Academic affiliation with the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University, through which all faculty members have academic appointments
- Rotating 3rd and 4th year medical students from the Sidney Kimmel Medical College and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
- Dedicated, experienced faculty members making a well-rounded pediatric training experience their top priority and are proud to continually place graduates in top fellowship programs and general pediatrics positions
- Support and encouragement for scholarly activity, including qualitative and quantitative research, QI projects, Case Studies, and PBLIs, through mentoring, grant funding opportunities, IRB guidance, statistical analysis assistance, and travel funds. Our faculty and residents have been published in multiple journals, including Pediatrics, Academic Pediatrics, Acta Paediatrica, Journal of Perinatology, and Journal of Adolescent Health. Plus, they have experience presenting at regional and national conferences, such as the Eastern Society of Pediatric Research (ESPR), Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS), and the AAP National Conference and Exhibition.
Why Choose Us
- We have a strong commitment to general pediatric training.
- We serve a diverse patient population.
- We offer educational experiences at both a large, safety-net, tertiary care center and a stand-alone children’s hospital.
- We celebrate professional AND personal development.
- We have a history of amazing fellowship and job placement.
The Pediatric Residency Program of Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia acknowledges that the medical field has an offensive history of systemically and unjustly excluding certain populations. Abjectly, these exclusions persist. As a consequence, patients, their families, the communities we serve, and healthcare professionals suffer profound negative effects on their health and well-being. To overcome these effects, not only must the healthcare field strive for diversity, equity, and inclusion, we must actually do the work to achieve change.
Therefore, we, the residents and program leadership of the residency program:
- Will do the anti-racism work necessary to invoke systemic change;
- Strive to ensure that our residents share a language, identity, faith, value system, or background with our patients, thereby enriching the patient-physician relationship;
- Are committed to unique and diverse perspectives of our residents, influencing us to become more proficient professionals;
- Have a duty to provide a healthy, just, and caring environment in which our residents can learn and our patients can seek care;
- Are obligated to respond to any concerns related to any form of bias agains out residents and/or patients quickly and decisively;
- Will foster an environment--together--of openness and accountability.
This is our pledge.