Peripheral Artery Disease
Einstein Institute of Heart & Vascular Health is a leading facility in the Philadelphia area for treatment of arterial and vascular disease. Our peripheral arterial disease specialists offer the latest treatments. Einstein offers peripheral artery disease treatment in Philadelphia and Montgomery County.
WHAT IS ARTERIAL AND VASCULAR DISEASE?
Peripheral arterial disease, or vascular disease, is a serious condition referring to the blockage or buildup of blood vessels –usually in a patient's legs and feet. While peripheral arterial disease, also known as PAD, can be deadly, its symptoms can be subtle. Many times, patients attribute PAD to other ailments like arthritis, back pain or the effects of aging.
KNOWING THE SYMPTOMS OF PAD
While some patients with PAD never develop symptoms, it's important to recognize them, know the risks and seek treatment. Symptoms can include:
- pain, weakness, numbness or cramping of muscles in feet or hands
- sores, wounds or ulcers that heal slowly or not at all in feet or hands
- noticeable change in color in limbs
- diminished hair and nail growth on affected limb and digits
- erectile dysfunction, or impotence
RISK FACTORS FOR PAD INCLUDE
- high cholesterol
- age 50 and older
INNOVATIVE TREATMENTS FOR PAD
Because PAD disease afflicts arteries and veins that are particularly narrow, surgery in these areas is difficult. But with technological advances, peripheral vascular stenting is now possible. Today, Einstein's Institute of Heart & Vascular Health performs this life-saving technique and transforming the lives of its PAD patients.
OTHER LIFE-SAVING TREATMENTS FOR PAD
- vascular surgery – surgery of the arteries and veins, including minimally-invasive catheter procedures and surgical reconstruction.
- angioplasty – a non-invasive procedure in which a balloon catheter opens blood flow in the body's arteries and veins.
- plaque excision – a non invasive procedure for removal of plaque the artery.
- bypass grafting – a surgical procedure to re-route blood around an obstruction in the artery.
VASCULAR IMPROVEMENT AND VARICOSE VEIN TREATMENT
Einstein Vascular Improvement Program provides targeted laser therapy for the relief and pain of varicose veins and other vascular conditions.