Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder driven by recurrent, unwanted thoughts (obsessions) and/or repetitive behaviors (compulsions).
Typically OCD begins in childhood and tends to run in families. When extreme cases of OCD become severe and time-consuming, they can significantly distress or disrupt a person’s life.
Our medical centers in Philadelphia and Montgomery County (Elkins Park) diagnose and provide personalized treatment for patients with obsessive compulsive disorder.
Our therapists and specialists utilize the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders to diagnosis your symptoms as obsessive-compulsive disorder, prior to working with you through personalized treatment options.
Symptoms of OCD
Prior to treatment for obsessive compulsive disorder, our specialists may diagnose symptoms which include:
- Dread of being contaminated by germs or diseases
- Superstitions about certain numbers or patterns
- Thoughts that something terrible might happen if a task is not done correctly
- Fear of throwing something away that might be important
- Imagining having harmed people
- Fears of succumbing to unwanted violent or sexual urges
- Excessive religious thoughts
The anxiety caused by these undesired obsessions can result in a patient seeking relief by conducting rituals (compulsions).
Common compulsions include:
- Excessive washing or cleaning
- Repeating certain phrases or prayers a specific number of times
- Ritualistically checking behaviors
- Reorganizing things until they are perfect
- Repeatedly performing the same action
Treatment Options for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Although many people with OCD recognize their fears are irrational, they cannot overcome their obsessions and compulsions on their own. Our multidisciplinary staff examine patients throughout the Philadelphia region to help them formulate an individual treatment plan.
Medication. Therapies and rehabilitative services are very helpful for patients with OCD. At times antidepressant medications may be used as OCD treatment.
Support. Staff at our medical centers in Philadelphia and Elkins Park work to create a support system for patients during OCD treatment. We find that patients benefit greatly from family members who understand the disease and support them in the hospital and during aftercare.
Request an Appointment
OCD Treatment Locations
Einstein has multiple outpatient centers providing treatment for patients with OCD throughout the Philadelphia area and in Elkins Park:
Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia
Medical Office Building at Tabor Road
1200 W. Tabor Road, Suite 100
Philadelphia, PA 19141
Einstein Center One
9880 Bustleton Avenue, Suite 218
Philadelphia, PA 19141
Einstein Medical Center Elkins Park
60 Township Line Road
Elkins Park, PA 19027