Einstein Complex Family Planning Center in Philadelphia
As part of Einstein’s Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology (OBGYN), the Einstein Complex Family Planning Center is home to a team of specialized medical professionals with deep experience in the area of complex family planning, including abortion, contraception and early pregnancy complications such as miscarriages, recurrent miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies. We are dedicated to helping people in North Philadelphia and the greater Philadelphia area make empowered, informed decisions about their reproductive health.
Family planning extends beyond just services. It’s about caring for the whole patient, helping them explore all available options to make the choice that is best for them. Einstein Complex Family Planning offers patients the highest level of compassionate care, from their first meeting with our staff to the time they leave the hospital and beyond, if more care is needed.
The Einstein Complex Family Planning Center is accredited by the National Abortion Federation. If you are considering an abortion for any reason, Einstein Complex Family Planning has fellowship-trained doctors, advanced practice clinicians, nurses, and counselors who are committed to each patient’s physical and emotional well-being throughout your experience.
Services Offered by Einstein Complex Family Planning
We offer our community a full spectrum of services devoted to healthcare and reproductive needs. The Einstein Complex Family Planning Center offers a variety of family planning methods and services, including:
Depending upon each patient’s individual circumstances, preferences, and gestational age, the procedure can be performed up to 24 weeks into pregnancy at Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia, in an office setting or a hospital operating room.
- Hormonal birth control. These methods include birth control pills, patches, or implants and intrauterine devices
- Non-hormonal birth control. In some cases people may want or need a method that does not contain hormones - such as condoms, cervical cap, or Intrauterine Devices (IUDs) - are available
- Hormones for non-contraceptive reasons - such as irregular or painful periods, endometriosis, PCOS
- Emergency contraception. There are pills that, if administered up to five days after unprotected sex, can help prevent pregnancy. Copper IUDs can also be placed as a form of emergency contraception
- Complex contraception procedures. The insertion or removal of a contraceptive IUD or implant is often a simple, outpatient procedure. However, in instances where there may be complications due to a pre-existing condition, Einstein Complex Family Planning has expertise with safe insertion or removal of these devices. We are a Center of Excellence" as designated by Merck (c) for difficult Nexplanon (r) removals
- Bleeding in early pregnancy
- Pregnancy of unknown location
- Miscarriages or early pregnancy loss - including recurrent miscarriages
- Ectopic pregnancies
Einstein Complex Family Planning has on-site counseling available to help patients get the care and information they need to make the decision that’s right for them. Pennsylvania law requires that a person considering abortion must receive counseling at least 24 hours prior to explore all possible options, including carrying a pregnancy to term, adoption, or abortion. In addition to counselors, Einstein Complex Family Planning has a social worker on staff who is able to connect patients to community resources and/or financial assistance, if needed.
Coordinated Care For Patients With Existing Health Conditions
Einstein Complex Family Planning provides comprehensive care from fellowship-trained practitioners with expertise in even the most complicated cases. Our team is able to provide contraceptive and abortive care for patients with medical issues that otherwise may not be able to be addressed within a clinical setting.
We are able to coordinate care with other departments within the Einstein Healthcare Network. You’ll work with the same doctors, nurses, and medical professionals throughout your journey. Each member of our team is committed to making sure you feel supported and confident about your treatment at every stage.
Our fellowship-trained staff is able to provide care to patients with existing medical conditions, including:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart disease and cardiac disorders
- Opiate dependence
- Sickle cell anemia
- History of clotting disorders / blood clots
- Bleeding disorders, such as hemophilia
Compassionate, Confidential Care
Patient privacy is as important to us as it is to you. Einstein Complex Family Planning Center is committed to confidentiality and protecting your rights as a patient. Our trained staff will not give out your personal information and any services you receive are confidential, protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
If you have insurance, we can work with your provider to learn which options are covered. If you do not have insurance coverage or do not wish for services to be covered by your insurance plan, we can work to find low- or no-cost solutions to provide you with the care you need. These services include, but are not limited to counseling services, ultrasound, blood and/or lab work, contraceptives, and medical procedures.
Under Pennsylvania law, Medicaid and healthcare plans can only cover abortion in instances where the pregnancy endangers a person’s life, or cases of rape or incest. By law, minors under the age of 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian, as well as receive counseling 24 hours before the scheduled procedure.
Our Team Is Your Team
Every person’s situation is unique. From the moment you reach out to the Einstein Complex Family Planning Center, you’ll be met with a team of expert medical professionals who are devoted to helping you take control of your life and reproductive health. We’ll work with you to help you understand your options, and what you can expect at every step.
Schedule an Appointment
For questions about our services, or to schedule an appointment please call 215-456-7180 or fill out our request an appointment form below.
Request an Appointment
Einstein Complex Family Planning Center
Paley Building, 3rd Floor
5501 Old York Road
Philadelphia, PA 19141