Einstein's specialized plastic surgeons use the most advanced procedures and techniques to modify and alter scar tissue associated with burns, in order to restore the function and appearance of the skin.
How Do Burn Care Procedures Work?
The majority of burns will cause scars that can be raised, sunken or discolored. There are a variety of medical non-surgical procedures that can help treat scars, diminish their appearance and restore comfort. Your physician will discuss which treatment or range of treatments would be best for you.
- Injectables - Some burn scars can be treated with injections of medically approved material, such as collagen to fill in sunken scars, or steroids to reduce redness or size.
- Dermabrasion - Some rough or elevated burn scars can be made less prominent through dermabrasion. For this procedure, your plastic surgeon will use a special rotating instrument to remove layers of skin. The procedure works by destroying and removing the upper layers of skin to allow for skin regrowth.
- Laser treatments - By using special computer-generated laser wavelengths of light, your plastic surgeon can reduce the redness associated with burn scars and stimulate healthy new collagen production that results in smoother skin.
What Can I Expect During and After the Procedure?
Treatment for your burn scars may include several different types of procedures over a period of time. Your physician will provide you with detailed information about what to expect during and after each procedure appointment, but in general:
- Depending upon the type of non-surgical treatment, you may be given a local anesthetic before your procedure.
- Your physician will explain what you can expect directly after your treatment and how long it will take before you begin to notice a change.
- Do not use exfoliating agents on treated skin, and always wear sunscreen on treated areas.